Having a radiant, confident smile is something that many people desire, which is why so many individuals try to use over-the-counter teeth whitening products to enhance their smiles.
If you have tried using over-the-counter whitening products, you may have found yourself disappointed with the results. In this blog post, our team at Mill Bay Dental tells you all you need to know about teeth whitening near you and what to do when you don’t get the results you desire.
What Causes Tooth Discoloration?
It is important to understand what causes your teeth to not be the bright white color you want them to be. It may not be due to a lack of oral hygiene. Even those with excellent oral hygiene practices can have challenges with the color of their teeth. Some of the reasons for tooth discoloration include:
- Genetics- some individuals are genetically prone to having discolored teeth. This can be due to a genetic predisposition to thinner enamel or porous teeth.
- Chronic illness- certain chronic illnesses such as celiac disease and fluorosis can cause tooth discoloration.
- Lifestyle habits- those that tend to drink a lot of coffee and tea or who are in the habit of smoking will be more prone to tooth discoloration than those who do not smoke or keep their intake of dark-colored beverages to a minimum.
If your teeth are discolored for any of the above reasons, it is not likely that over-the-counter whitening products will help.
Sign You Should Stop Using Your At-Home Whitening Products
The main ingredient used in teeth whitening products is hydrogen peroxide. This chemical is found in whitening products such as toothpaste, whitening kits, and whitening strips. However, over-the-counter whitening products have a very limited amount of hydrogen peroxide, making them less effective than professional teeth whitening provided by a dentist near you.
Additionally, since over-the-counter whitening products are less potent, some individuals overuse them, leading to problems such as:
- Tooth sensitivity
- Thinned tooth enamel
- Irritated and bleeding gum
Instead of causing potential damage to your teeth with over-the-counter whitening products, it is best to visit a dentist in Mill Bay for professional teeth whitening.
In-Office Teeth Whitening
If you are interested in teeth whitening in Mill Bay, the best thing to do is visit a dentist for professional whitening treatment. Our dentists have access to professional-grade whitening agents at Mill Bay Dental, which can whiten your teeth quicker and more effectively than over-the-counter whitening products.
When it comes to professional teeth whitening, there are two main options:
- Take-home whitening trays- our dentist will examine your mouth to determine if you are a good candidate for teeth whitening before taking impressions of your teeth to create custom whitening trays for you to use at home. With well-fitted whitening trays, your teeth will whiten more evenly, safely, and effectively.
- In-office treatment- if you want the quickest and safest results, you should opt for in-office treatment. In this case, our dentist will apply the whitening gel to your teeth and expose it to an activation light, effectively bleaching your teeth.
If you would like to learn more about your options for professional teeth whitening, please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated team of dental professionals at Mill Bay Dental. We are happy to assist you in achieving the smile of your dreams. Please contact us to book a consultation today.