TMJ Therapy Near You
One of the often overlooked but most essential aspects of good oral health is the proper alignment and function of your jaw joints, known as your temporomandibular joints. If these joints are overworked or misaligned, it creates a condition known as TMJ or TMD, which causes pain and discomfort in the head, neck, jaw, and mouth. Our team at Mill Bay Dental Health wants to help alleviate your painful symptoms, which is why we offer TMJ therapy in Mill Bay.
Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)- What is It?
Your temporomandibular joints connect your skull to your lower mandible (jaw). These joints also connect to the majority of the nerves and muscles in your face. When these joints become misaligned or overstrained, it leads to the chronic, severe pain associated with TMJ. Since TMJ symptoms include pain in many areas of the body, it can be challenging to diagnose. The best way to determine if you require TMJ therapy near you is to visit Mill Bay Dental Health for an examination of your symptoms.
What Are the Symptoms of TMJ?
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, it may be a good idea to get evaluated for TMJ:
- Earache: as well as difficulty hearing, ringing in your ears, and a feeling of pressure behind your ear.
- Body aches: especially around your shoulders, neck, and back.
- Facial pain: aching, swelling, and muscle fatigue in your face.
- Jaw ache: pain, lockjaw, stiffness, and clicking, grinding, or popping sounds when chewing or speaking.
A lot of these symptoms are also present with other health conditions, which is why it is important to decipher if the source of your pain is from TMJ and get proper treatment if needed.
What is TMJ Therapy?
TMJ therapy works to realign your jaw joints and alleviate pressure on your muscles. When you visit our dentist in Mill Bay, they will offer a variety of different options. Depending on the severity and cause of your TMJ, options for treatment may include:
- Orthodontics: if the cause of your TMJ is misaligned joints, then our dentist may recommend a long-term orthodontic solution such as Invisalign or braces to adjust your bite and alleviate tension on your joints.
- At-Home Treatment: if your TMJ symptoms are mild to moderate, then our dentist will provide you with a list of things you can do at home as a part of conservative treatment. This list may include things such as practicing good posture and sticking to a soft food diet.
- TMJ Splint: these are oral devices custom-made by our dentist and worn to prevent clenching and grinding during sleep. These splints will keep your teeth apart while you sleep to allow your muscles some relief.
Interested in TMJ Therapy Near You?
Our team at Mill Bay Dental Health is happy to provide you with TMJ therapy in Mill Bay. We understand how debilitating TMJ can be, and we want to help you find relief. Please contact our clinic to book your appointment today!